440C Stainless Steel
440C Stainless Steel has a hardness of 58–60 on the Rockwell scale. The hardness of the steel makes it ideal for knife blades.
R928.00 – R1'022.00
and fill your cart
Choose Payflex at checkout
Get approved and
pay 25% today
with your debit
or credit card
Pay the remainder
It is recommended to anneal after any laser cutting or hammering of steel to relieve any possible stress in the steel.
Heat the blade in the furnace to 750°C and hold for 30 minutes. Allow the blade to cool slowly inside the furnace to room temp.
Heat the furnace to the desired temperature between 1040 – 1080°C as per the recommendations below. Once the furnace has reached the temperature you can place the blade/s in the furnace. Once the temperature has reached the desired temp, soak according to the following:
- 1040°C if not doing cryo-treatment after the quench.
- 1060°C if cooling in a domestic deep freezer.
- 1080°C if doing cryo-treatment using dry ice or liquid nitrogen.
- 2,5mm thick hold for 5 minutes;
- 3,3mm thick hold for 7 minutes;
- 4,2mm thick hold for 10 minutes;
- 5mm thick hold for 12 minutes.
Quench rapidly in oil (i.e. PQ20 quench oil) or between plates with air cooling. After quenching follow up with deep freezing / Cryo-treatment if desired for at least 2 hours prior to tempering.
Temper between 180 – 220°C for 1 hour
2,5mm x 80mm x 1m, 3,3mm x 80mm x 1m, 4,2mm x 80mm x 1m