Heat Treatment Furnaces
R10'700.00 – R14'100.00
Other custom sizes can also be ordered.
This Top Loading Electrical Kiln is designed specifically for the South African knife maker. Affordable, fast, use little electricity, is portable and has an automatic soak function. It’s fairly deep design means you’re not limited to small knives and the ample power makes it a perfect fit for both the casual and dedicated blade maker.
These furnaces are suitable for hardening and tempering as it regulates well at the lower temperatures also.
- Voltage 220 – 240 volts (domestic wall socket)
- Amps : 12 – 15 amps
- Elements : Single 6kW spiral element which allows for rapid heating
- Controller : TOHO
- Relay: Solid State
- Max temp: 1200 degrees centigrade / 2200 fahrenheit.
- Insulation : 1500 grade fibrefrax
- Finish: Stainless steel outer with welded mesh.
- Extras: Supplied with 2 lids, 1 without hook and 1 with a hook to hang knives on.
- Mobility: Furnace is mounted on wheels for easy moving.
Heat Treatment Furnaces / Knife makers Kiln
The soul of the blade is born in the crucible of the furnace. Once you own your own knife makers furnace, you can begin experimenting with heat treating ideas whenever you desire. Stay up late to heat treat an exciting blade design without having to send it out for heat treating only to receive it back a week later.
Used in the hardening and tempering of knife steel.
Hardening is a way of making the knife steel harder. By first heating the knife steel to between 1050°C and 1090°C (1922 and 1994°F) and then quickly cooling (quenching) it, the knife steel will become much harder, but also more brittle. Tempering at temperatures between 100°C and 500°C reduces the brittleness of the steel and improves toughness.